Job posting: Artistic Director
Artistic Director – Cow Over Moon Children’s Theatre
Date Posted: October 9, 2015
Application Deadline: November 2, 2015
Start Date: negotiable
Cow Over Moon Children’s Theatre
Cow Over Moon Children’s Theatre was established in 1996 by a group of theatre students at Cawthra Park Secondary School, Mississauga. Twenty years later, Cow Over Moon is still going strong, producing one new show per year and touring to venues and festivals in Mississauga and Toronto. Cow Over Moon Children’s Theatre is dedicated to creating and producing quality, accessible theatre productions for children and families. By creating original scripts with a contemporary message, incorporating classic themes and teachable moments, the artists at Cow Over Moon engage their audience through the transformative power of theatre.
Our approach to creating theatre for children is unique. The Artistic Director will select a classic folk or fairy tale to be re-imagined and work with the Director to develop a synopsis. Using the synopsis as a starting point, the action and details of the show will be fleshed out by the cast and creative team, through Cow Over Moon’s unique style of improv-based script and character development. We have a responsibility as producers of children’s theatre not only to entertain and welcome children to the world of theatre, but also to deliver open minded and thought provoking perspectives.
In 2015 Cow Over Moon developed a new Strategic Plan to guide the company over the next three to five years. Our Artistic Director will be responsible for implementing the Strategic Plan with support from the board of directors. The six member working board assists with many administrative duties (minutes, financial tracking, etc.) The board also assists with graphic design and development of curriculum-based study guides.
The Artistic Director is responsible for conceiving, developing, and implementing the artistic vision and focus of Cow Over Moon Children’s Theatre. Reporting directly to the board, the AD is responsible for the company’s look, style, quality and programming. In addition the AD:
- Generates and executes ideas for shows; creates the synopsis for each show; casts and builds the artistic team for each show. This includes engaging the director, artists and production staff for all Cow Over Moon productions and ensuring that all contracts associated with the creative team for productions are in accordance with the approved project budget.
- Develops project and administrative budgets for Cow Over Moon and ensures that the company operates within a board-approved budget (project and annual). Reports on funding concerns promptly to the board.
- Supervises and provides direction to the Associate Producer on negotiations with venues and artists and new business ventures.
- Identifies and pursues funding from various governments, foundations and individuals. This includes writing grant applications.
- Develops a multi-year programming plan for the company.
- Ensures the good name and public perception of Cow Over Moon in the community and amongst the artistic community.
- As appropriate, investigates and implements opportunities for creative partnerships.
- Maintains good records on the performance of the company for analysis and recommendations including: school and childcare attendance, media responses, audience composition, artists, granting bodies, foundations, advertising effectiveness.
- Designs and implements marketing and publicity campaigns in order to build our audiences and researches information for editorial, listings and advertising opportunities.
- Oversees all design work for the company.
- Maintains a vibrant website and social media presence.
Experience and Skills:
- Practical experience in theatrical production, direction and/or administration, preferably in a non-profit setting.
- A post-secondary degree or diploma in Theatre/Performing Arts, Music, Drama or related field of study or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Proven ability in grant-writing and fundraising.
- Good knowledge, experience and networks in the arts communities of Mississauga and Toronto.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communications skills and the ability to work easily with diverse groups of people.
- Ability to develop and expand key relationships and alliances with artists, funding organizations, sponsors, donors, partner organizations and community leaders.
- A strong collaborative, team-driven ethic with proven ability to engage and inspire others to achieve organizational goals.
We encourage you to apply if you share our values:
• Creativity and Collaboration: Cow Over Moon values excellence, professionalism, integrity, and a creative and collaborative artistic process.
• Audience Engagement: Cow Over Moon believes in engaging our audience in learning through imaginative play and humour.
• Diversity: Cow Over Moon welcomes diversity in its audience, creative team, and source material.
• Accessibility: Cow Over Moon is committed to ensuring that ticket prices and venues are accessible to all families.
Please send letters of interest and resumes, by email, to Gwen Maloney, President, Cow Over Moon Children’s Theatre at firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline is November 2, 2015. Cow Over Moon values diversity and encourages candidates from diverse cultural backgrounds to apply. While we appreciate all applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.